Written by Tomas Meskauskas
Damage level: Medium
ResultBar removal information
ResultBar is external program (adware), that will hijack your Internet browsers. The rogue program sets your default search engine to "resultbar" and is known to affect Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Chrome. If you notice that your default search engine was changed to resultbar without your permission, your PC is likely to be infected with this adware. While your computer is infected, you may notice various unwanted pop-ups and you will not be able to access your preferred search engines. You should remove this adware from your computer as soon as possible, since if no action is taken, your PC might become infected with even more misleading programs. Use this removal guide to completely remove ResultBar from your computer.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode. Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, click OK. During your computer starting process press the F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until you see the Windows Advanced Option menu, then select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Here is a video demonstrating how to start Windows in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Windows XP users:
Windows Vista / 7 users:
Windows 8 users:
2. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools and select Internet Options. Select Connections, then click LAN settings, if 'Use a proxy server for your LAN' is checked, uncheck it and press OK.
3. Navigate to %ProgramFiles%\ResultBar\resultbar.dll and remove resultbar.dll (example c:\ProgramFiles\ResultBar\resultbar.dll)
4. Download and install anti-spyware software to completely remove the infection.
Other tools known to remove ResultBar:
If you are unable to remove ResultBar, you can use these manual removal instructions. Use them at your own risk, since if you do not have strong computer knowledge, you could harm your operating system. Use them only if you are an experienced computer user. (Instructions on how to end processes, remove registry entries...)
End these ResultBar processes:
Remove these ResultBar registry entries:
Delete these ResultBar files:
C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataResultbarresultbar143.exe
Remove these ResultBar DLL files:
A browser hijacker is a type of adware that alters user's Internet browser settings by changing one's homepage and default Internet search engine to some unwanted website. Most commonly this type of adware infiltrates user's operating system through free software downloads. While browser redirects might seem as a low risk security infection, computer users should know that the websites to which they are being redirected to commonly contain deceptive online advertisements and the Internet search engine that is presented in such websites might return shady Internet search results. Using such websites for one's daily Internet searches might easily end up in privacy issues, identity theft or malware infections.
A computer that is affected by a browser hijacker is exposed to high risk security infections. To prevent further privacy and security issues it's recommended removing any Internet browser settings altering adware as soon as possible. Here are some examples of free software download clients that are used in ResultBar distribution:
To avoid installation of ResultBar be very attentive when downloading and installing free software. If your download is managed by a download client be sure to opt out of installing advertised toolbars or applications that seek to change your homepage and default Internet search engine:
Some of the mentioned free software download clients don't allow downloading the chosen free program if user decides to decline installation of it's offered toolbars, in such cases it's recommended to cancel the installation and look for an alternative download source.
Symptoms indicating that your Internet browsers are affected by a browser hijacker:
- Your homepage and/or default Internet search engine is changed.
- Appearance of new toolbars.
- Slow performance of Internet browsers.
- New Bookmarks or Favorites added.
- You can't change your homepage or default search engine.
- You see online ads on your screen that are not served by the website.
- You get redirected to pages you never intended to visit.
If you are experiencing problems while trying to remove ResultBar from your Internet browsers, please ask for assistance in our malware removal forum.