"Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" virus - how to remove?
"Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" is a ransomware infection which locks computer user's screen and asks to pay a fine of $200 to unlock it. The deceptive message in the screen locker states that this this screen lock was applied because a computer user was downloading copyrighted music files, using torrents etc. Cyber criminals who are responsible for creating this ransomware have come up with a name of "System Cleaner". Supposedly it's a new system which was created to stop online piracy or other law infringements. In reality "System Cleaner" system doesn't exist, it's a trick created by Cyber criminals to scare unsuspecting PC users into paying a non existent fine for supposedly made law infringements.
Most commonly Cyber criminals are exploiting the names of authorities (FBI, Metropolitan Police etc.) to make their deceptive messages appear more legitimate but in this care they have come up with some "System Cleaner" name. Computer users should be aware that none of the authorities are using screen lockers to collect fines for law infringements. If you see such message blocking your computer screen you can be sure that you are dealing with a ransomware infection. Don't pay the fine of $200 that you are asked by this message - you will send your money to Cyber criminals and your computer will still be blocked.
"Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" is spread using Trojans and malicious websites. In most recent case this ransomware was spread using Skype. Cyber criminals have created a virus which targets Skype users and posts malicious links to infected user's contacts. More information on Skype virus. To protect your computer from such infections you should always use a legitimate antivirus and antispyware programs, always keep your operating system and all of your installed programs up-to-date. If you computer screen is already locked by this ransomware you can use this removal guide to unlock your PC.
Fake message shown in "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam:
Your Computer is Inactive System Cleaner is in Progress
You have violated federal law of the United States of America: (Article 1, Section 8, Clause 8; Article 202; Article 210 of the Criminal Code of USA which provides for a deprivation of liberty for four to twelve years.)
Your computer was recently used to visit websites prohibited on the territory of USA: to download mp3 files, child pornography, torrents, gambling, illegal drugs or other illegal activity. As a result System Cleaner was launched on your computer. System Cleaner is a program developed by the special Department of US government aimed to prevent crime and illegal activity on the Internet.
All your files are encrypted. In case you fail to pay $200 fine all your files will be permanently deleted and prohibited files will be sent to the Department with logged IP-addresses used for illegal activity.
1.To unlock your computer you are obliged to pay a fine of $200 within 48 hours.
2. The fine must be paid with the help of MoneyPak system.
3. To pay the fine you should enter digital code which is located on the back of your MoneyPak card in the payment form and press OK (if you have several codes, enter them one after the other and press OK). You can buy MoneyPak card at the nearest stores: Walgreens, Kmart, Walmart, CVS/pharmacy, SevenEleven, Rite Aid and etc.
Once you have entered your MoneyPak code you must not use it anywhere else. If your MoneyPak code is invalid or it doesn't have the necessary amount the payment will not be processed. Don't try to deceive System Cleaner or delete it from your computer. It is the newest version of System Cleaner 9.11 and it doesn't gave any analogues. If the program spots any attempts to deceive the system it will delete all files (photos, video, audio, documents, passwords, etc.) When your MoneyPak code is confirmed all your files will be unblocked but you will have to delete all illegal data from your computer immediately!
"Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" virus removal:
During your computer starting process press F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until Windows Advanced Options menu shows up, then select Safe mode with networking from the list and press ENTER.
Video showing how to start Windows 7 in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Log in to the account that is infected with "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam. Start your Internet browser and download a legitimate anti-spyware program. Update the anti-spyware software and start a full system scan. Remove all the entries that it detects.
After completing these steps your computer should be clean, reboot your computer in normal mode.
This ransomware encrypts all of the stored files on your computer. To regain control of your files (decrypt) try using these tools:
Alternative "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam removal guide:
If this ransomware blocks your screen when you start your computer in safe mode with networking, try starting your PC in safe mode with command prompt.
1. During your computer starting process press F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until Windows Advanced Options menu shows up, then select Safe mode with command prompt from the list and press ENTER.
2. In the opened command prompt type explorer and press Enter. This command will open explorer window, don't close it and continue to the next step.
3. In the command prompt type regedit and press Enter. This will open the registry editor window.
4. In the registry editor window you should navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
5. In the right side of the window locate "Shell" and right click on it. Click on Modify. The default value data is Explorer.exe if you see something else written in this window remove it and type in Explorer.exe (you can write down whatever else was written in the value data section - this is a path of the rogue execution file) - use this information to navigate to the rogue executable and remove it.
6. Restart your computer, download and install a legitimate anti-spyware software and perform a full system scan to eliminate any left remnants of "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam.
7. This ransomware encrypts all of the stored files on your computer. To regain control of your files (decrypt) try using these tools:
If you can't start your computer in safe mode with networking (or with command prompt) you should boot your computer using a rescue disk. Some variants of ransomware disables safe mode making it's removal more complicated. For this step you will need access to another computer. After removing "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam from your PC restart your computer and scan it with a legitimate antispyware software to remove any possibly left remnants of this security infection.
Other tools known to remove "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam: