Windows Accelerator Pro
Written by Tomas Meskauskas
Damage level: High
Windows Accelerator Pro removal instructions
Windows Accelerator Pro is a fake antivirus program that mimics the detection of various high-risk malware infections in order to scare PC users into purchasing the 'full version'. This rogue software imitates a legitimate antivirus program and suggests that this is the only program capable of removing the supposedly 'detected' security infections. In fact, no security threats indicated by this bogus program actually exist on your computer - Windows Accelerator Pro is a scam created by cyber criminals. This program is distributed using malicious or hacked websites, which display fake online security warning messages to trick Internet users into downloading this rogue antivirus program.
After successful infiltration, this fake antivirus software modifies the registry keys of an infected operating system and configures itself to start automatically on each system startup. Moreover, this fake security scanner blocks execution of installed programs and the Task Manager. To further scare computer users into believing that their operating systems are infected with Trojans and viruses, this fake program generates various security warning messages. Windows Accelerator Pro originates from a family of fake antivirus programs called FakeVimes. Do not trust this program or pay for "ultimate protection" (the full version). Paying for this program is equivalent to sending sending your money to cyber criminals.
Windows Accelerator Pro is identical to previous variants named Windows Premium Shield and Windows Efficiency Console. Cyber criminals responsible for creating fake antivirus programs from the FakeVimes family have updated their bogus software to block users' desktops. This behaviour is similar to ransomware infections. To protect your system from rogue antivirus programs such as these, keep all installed programs up-to-date and use legitimate antivirus and anti-spyware software. Users who have already paid for the license key of this bogus software should contact their credit card companies and dispute the charges, explaining that they have been tricked into purchasing a fake antivirus program. Use this removal guide to eliminate Windows Accelerator Pro from your computer.
Windows Accelerator Pro blocking execution of installer programs:
The payment page of this rogue antivirus program. Cyber criminals demand payment of $99.90 to register Windows Accelerator Pro:
Windows Accelerator Pro removal:
Before downloading the removal software for this rogue antivirus program, complete these steps:
1. Wait until Windows Accelerator Pro completes the fake security scan and click "Settings" (at the top of the main window).
2. Select "Allow unprotected Startup".
3. After selecting "Allow unprotected Startup", close Windows Accelerator Pro.
4. Access "My Computer". Double click on the "My Computer" icon.
5. Navigate to C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming
6. Locate the file named "guard-[random letters].exe" and click your right mouse button over this file.
7. In the opened menu, select "Rename". Change the filename of "guard-[random letters].exe" to "fake.exe".
8. After renaming the "guard-[random letters].exe" file, restart your computer. The next time the operating system boots, Windows Accelerator Pro will be inactive and will not block access to the Internet.
6. Download legitimate anti-spyware software to completely remove this rogue antivirus program from your computer.
If you cannot download or run the spyware remover, try running the registry fix (link below). It enables execution of programs. Download the registryfix.reg file, double click it, click YES and then OK.
Windows Accelerator Pro removal using a registry key:
1. Click on the question mark icon (at the top of the main window of Windows Accelerator Pro) and select "Register".
2. In the opened window, enter this registry key: 0W000-000B0-00T00-E0001
3. After entering this registry key, Windows Accelerator Pro mimics the removal of previously 'detected' security threats and the allows execution of installed programs. Note that entering this registration key will not remove this rogue antivirus program - it will simply make the removal process less complicated.
4. Download legitimate anti-spyware software to completely remove Windows Accelerator Pro from your computer.
Windows Accelerator Pro removal using Safe Mode with Networking:
Start your computer in Safe Mode. Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, click OK. During your computer starting process press the F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until you see the Windows Advanced Option menu, then select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Video showing how to start Windows 7 in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Video showing how to start Windows XP in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Remove proxy settings from Internet Explorer. This rogue antivirus adds a proxy to the user's Internet connection settings in order to display various errors when the users attempts to access the Internet. To remove proxy settings: Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon. In the opened menu select "Internet Options."
In the opened window select the "Connections" tab.
In the "Connections" tab, click on "LAN settings".
If "Use a proxy server for your LAN" is checked, uncheck it and click OK.
Download legitimate anti-spyware software to completely remove this fake antivirus program from your computer.
After removing this rogue software, you should reset your Hosts file. Do not skip this step since Windows Accelerator Pro modifies your Hosts files, and you will encounter browser redirect problems if malicious entries are not eliminated.
The Hosts file is used to resolve canonical names of websites to IP addresses. When it is changed, the user may be redirected to malicious sites, despite seeing legitimate URLs in address bar. It is difficult to determine sites are genuine when the Hosts file is modified. To fix this, please download the Microsoft Fix It tool, that restores your Hosts file to the Windows default. Run this tool when downloaded and follow the on-screen instructions. Download link below:
Other tools known to remove Windows Accelerator Pro: