Windows Accelerator Pro
Written by Tomas Meskauskas
Damage level: High
Windows Accelerator Pro removal instructions
Windows Accelerator Pro is a fake antivirus program that pretends to detect various high risk malware infections to scare PC users into purchasing it's full version. This rogue software imitates a legitimate antivirus program and makes the situation appear as if it's the only program that could remove the supposedly detected security infections. Computer users should know that in reality none of security threats that are being indicated by this bogus program actually exist on one's computer - Windows Accelerator Pro is a scam created by Cyber criminals. This program is being distributed using malicious or hacked websites which displays fake online security warning messages and tricks Internet users into downloading this rogue antivirus program.
After successful infiltration this, fake antivirus software modifies the registry keys of an infected operating system and sets itself to start automatically on every system startup. Moreover, this fake security scanner blocks execution of installed programs and task manager. To further scare computer users into believing, that their operating system was infected with various Trojans and viruses this fake program generates various security warning messages. Windows Accelerator Pro originates from a family of fake antivirus programs called FakeVimes. PC users shouldn't trust this program, moreover no one should pay for it's "ultimate protection" (full version), paying for this program would equal to sending sending one's money to Cyber criminals.
Windows Accelerator Pro is identical to it's previous variants which were named Windows Premium Shield and Windows Efficiency Console. Cyber criminals who are responsible for creating fake antivirus programs from FakeVimes family have updated their bogus software to block user's desktop. Such behavior is similar to ransomware infections. To protect one's computers from such rogue antivirus programs, users should keep all of their installed programs up-to-date and use legitimate antivirus and anti-spyware software. Users who have already payed for the license key of this bogus software should contact their credit card companies and dispute the charges explaining that they have been tricked into purchasing a fake antivirus program. Use this removal guide to completely eliminate Windows Accelerator Pro from one's computer.
Windows Accelerator Pro blocking execution of installer programs:
The payment page of this rogue antivirus program. Cyber criminals are demanding a payment of $99.9 to register Windows Accelerator Pro:
Windows Accelerator Pro removal:
Before downloading the removal software for this rogue antivirus program complete these steps:
1. Wait until Windows Accelerator Pro finishes it's fake security scan and click "Settings" (at the top of the main window).
2. Select "Allow unprotected Startup."
3. After selecting "Allow unprotected Startup," close Windows Accelerator Pro.
4. Access "My Computer". Double click on "My Computer" icon.
5. Navigate to C:\Users\[YOUR USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming
6. Locate a file named "guard-[random letters].exe" and click your right mouse button over this file.
7. In the opened menu select "Rename". Change the file name of "guard-[random letters].exe" to "fake.exe".
8. After renaming "guard-[random letters].exe" file restart your computer. Next time the operating system boots Windows Accelerator Pro will be inactive and won't block access to Internet.
6. Download legitimate anti-spyware software to completely remove this rogue antivirus program from your computer.
If you can't download or run the spyware remover try running registry fix (link below). It enables execution of programs. Download registryfix.reg file, double click it, click YES and then OK.
Windows Accelerator Pro removal using a registry key:
1. Click on a question mark icon (at the top of the main window of Windows Accelerator Pro) and select "Register".
2. In the opened window enter this registry key: 0W000-000B0-00T00-E0001
3. After entering this registry key Windows Accelerator Pro will pretend to remove the previously detected security threats and will allow execution of installed programs. Notice that entering this registration key will not remove this rogue antivirus program - it will make the removal process less complicated.
4. Download legitimate anti-spyware software to completely remove Windows Accelerator Pro from your computer.
Windows Accelerator Pro removal using Safe Mode with Networking:
Windows XP and Windows 7 users: During your computer starting process press F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until Windows Advanced Options menu shows up, then select Safe mode with networking from the list and press ENTER.
Video showing how to start Windows 7 in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Video showing how to start Windows XP in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Remove proxy settings from Internet Explorer. This rogue antivirus adds a proxy to user's Internet connection settings to show various errors when user tries accessing the Internet. To remove proxy settings: Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon. In the opened menu select "Internet Options."
In the opened window select "Connections" tab.
In the "Connections" tab, click on "LAN settings".
If "Use a proxy server for your LAN" is checked, uncheck it and click OK.
Download legitimate anti-spyware software to completely remove this fake antivirus program from your computer.
After removing this rogue software, you should reset one's Hosts file. Don't skip this step, Windows Accelerator Pro modifies your Hosts files, and you will encounter browser redirect problems if malicious entries will not be eliminated.
Hosts file is used to resolve some canonical names of websites to IP addresses. When it's modified users may be redirected to malicious websites while still seeing a good URL in the address bar. To fix this, please download Microsoft Fix It tool, it restores one's hosts file to Windows default. Run this tool when downloaded and follow the on-screen instructions. Download link below:
Other tools known to remove Windows Accelerator Pro: