"Bedfordshire Police - Your Operating System is Locked" Virus- how to remove this scam?
"Bedfordshire Police - Your operating system is locked" is another ransomware infection which is targeted at computer users from United Kingdom. This time Cyber criminals are exploiting the name of Bedfordshire Police to make their deceptive message appear more realistic. This ransomware infection originates from a family of screen lockers called Goscri. Cyber criminals who are responsible for creating ransomware infections from this family are also targeting PC users from France, USA, Canada and other countries. Cyber criminals are able to change the body and the header part of their ransomware infection accordingly to country from which the computer was infected.
This localization is achieved by detecting IP addresses of the computers that are being infected, so for example if the computer user from USA would get his/her PC infected with this ransomware the deceptive message would appear like it came from FBI. Notice that none of the authorities are using such screen lockers to collect fines for any law infringements. Such messages which blocks computers screens are called ransomware and they are created by Cyber criminals who are making money from unsuspecting PC users who pays these imaginary fines.
"Bedfordshire Police - Your operating system is locked" is a scam, you shouldn't pay a fine of 100 euro for supposed law violations. If you do you will send your money to Cyber criminals who are responsible for releasing this scam and your PC will stay locked. You can clearly see that this message is a scam by looking at the text that is presented in this ransomware. There are many grammar mistakes in this message and the text is clearly written by someone who is not very familiar with English language. Don't pay this non existent fine and remove this ransmoware infection from your computer.
Fake message shown in "Bedfordshire Police - Your operating system is locked" scam:
Bedfordshire Police POLICE
Your operating system is locked due to violation of the laws of the UK. Following violations were detected: This computer was used to visit websites containing pornography, child pornography, zoophilia and child abuse. Your computer also contains video files with pornographic content, elements of violence and child pornography! Spam - messages with terrorist motives were also sent from your computer. This computer lock is aimed to stop your illegal activity. To unlock the computer you are obliged to pay a fine of 100 euro. You could pay the forfeit in two ways:
1) Paying though Ukash:
To do this, you should enter the 19 digits code in the payment and press "ENTER" (if you have several codes, enter them one after the other and press "ENTER")
2) Paying through Paysafecard:
To do this, you should enter the 16 digits code (if necessary with a password) in the payment and press "ENTER" (if you have several codes, enter them one after the other and press "ENTER"
"Bedfordshire Police - Your operating system is locked" ransomware removal:
During your computer starting process press F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until Windows Advanced Options menu shows up, then select Safe mode with networking from the list and press ENTER.
Video showing how to start Windows 7 in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Log in to the account that is infected with "Bedfordshire Police - Your operating system is locked" scam. Start your Internet browser and download a legitimate anti-spyware program. Update the anti-spyware software and start a full system scan. Remove all the entries that it detects.
After completing these steps your computer should be clean, reboot your computer in normal mode.
Alternative "Bedfordshire Police - Your operating system is locked" scam removal guide:
If this ransomware blocks your screen when you start your computer in safe mode with networking, try starting your PC in safe mode with command prompt.
1. During your computer starting process press F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until Windows Advanced Options menu shows up, then select Safe mode with command prompt from the list and press ENTER.
2. In the opened command prompt type explorer and press Enter. This command will open explorer window, don't close it and continue to the next step.
3. In the command prompt type regedit and press Enter. This will open the registry editor window.
4. In the registry editor window you should navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
5. In the right side of the window locate "Shell" and right click on it. Click on Modify. The default value data is Explorer.exe if you see something else written in this window remove it and type in Explorer.exe (you can write down whatever else was written in the value data section - this is a path of the rogue execution file) - use this information to navigate to the rogue executable and remove it.
6. Restart your computer, download and install a legitimate anti-spyware software and perform a full system scan to eliminate any left remnants of "Bedfordshire Police - Your operating system is locked" scam.
If you can't start your computer in safe mode with networking (or with command prompt) you should boot your computer using a rescue disk. Some variants of ransomware disables safe mode making it's removal more complicated. For this step you will need access to another computer. After removing "Bedfordshire Police - Your operating system is locked" scam from your PC restart your computer and scan it with a legitimate antispyware software to remove any possibly left remnants of this security infection.
Other tools known to remove "Bedfordshire Police - Your operating system is locked" scam: