How to burn and use a rescue CD? A method to remove ransomware from your PC.
Recent outrage of ransomware (screen lockers) has impelled me to write this guide explaining how can a computer user boot from a rescue disk. While rescue disks is not a common method used to help remove spyware and viruses, recent rise in screen locker infections has made this an attractive way to unlock your PC without taking it to a computer repair shop. Most commonly rescue disks is used to remove viruses from computers when it's impossible to use safe mode. In this guide I will use ImgBurn software to burn the .iso file to the CD. To download ImgBurn click here. We will use Kaspersky Rescue Disk which can be downloaded here. We chose this rescue disk because Kaspersky has always been one of top antivirus vendors and it's rescue disk is easy to use because of the attractive graphical interface. If you have a computer with a ransomware infection (examples: FBI Your Computer Has Been Locked, Police Central e-crime Unit scam etc.) and you can't boot your computer in safe mode, you can follow this guide and remove such infections using a rescue disk.
1. Download a Kaspersky Rescue Disk and ImgBurn software (use the provided links above).
2. Burn the Kaspersky Rescue Disk .iso file to a blank CD: Install ImgBurn software, launch it and select "Write image file to disk", in the opened window choose the downloaded Kaspersky Rescue Disk file (kav_rescue_10.iso) file and click the write image file to disk icon at the bottom of the window.
3. After you have a Kaspersky Rescue Disk you need to boot your computer from CD/DVD: Restart your PC and look for the information on what button you should click to enter boot menu ( You can refer to your motherboards manual, most commonly it's F11, DEL or F2 key). In the boot menu select CD/DVD-ROM as your first boot device.
4. When a Kaspersky Rescue Disk starts to load you will have to click any key to proceed.
5. In the language selection menu select your language and press Enter.
6. Accept the licence agreement by pressing 1 on your keyboard.
7. In the following screen select Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Graphic Mode.
After following these steps you will boot your computer from Kaspersky Rescue Disk. If you are dealing with an infected computer follow these steps to remove any malware or viruses.
1. Click the start button at the bottom left corner of the Kaspersky Rescue Disk main screen.
2. Select and run the Kaspersky WindowsUnlocker utility which will fix malicious registry entries.
3. After running the WindowsUnlocker, click start again and select Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Update it and after selecting the drives that you want to scan click "Start Objects Scan".
4. Remove all the infections that it detects and restart your computer.
After such procedure your operating system should start in both normal and safe mode. To make sure that your computer is free of any possible left security infections start your computer in normal mode and scan your PC with Malwarebytes Anti-malware or Stop Zilla.