What is time4news[.]net?
Time4news[.]net is a rogue site designed to load dubious content and/or get redirected to other webpages (likely, untrustworthy or malicious ones). The Web is full of similar pages; subordingry.website, captchadecode.com, and contentgate.xyz - are just a few examples.
Users seldom access rogue sites intentionally. Most enter them via redirects caused by suspicious webpages, intrusive advertisements, installed PUAs (Potentially Unwanted Applications). These apps can infiltrate systems without express user permission.
Time4news[.]net in detail
The behavior of rogue pages is determined by their visitors' IP addresses/ geolocations. Time4news[.]net is not an exception to this. Therefore, whether visitors are presented with questionable material and/or get redirected elsewhere - depends on their IP addresses/ geolocations.
Furthermore, these sites typically use clickbait and other deceptive content to trick users into enabling their browser notifications. Time4news[.]net uses fake CAPTCHA verification for this purpose. Should the notifications be allowed, the website will start running intrusive advertisement campaigns.
The displayed ads can be misleading, deceptive, and even dangerous. Hence, in addition to diminishing the browsing experience, the adverts also endanger device/user safety. When clicked on, intrusive advertisements redirect to various untrustworthy/malicious websites, and some can download/install software (e.g., PUAs) stealthily.
How do potentially unwanted applications operate?
PUAs can have a variety of undesirable and harmful functions, which can be in different combinations. For example, these applications can force-open webpages and/or deliver intrusive advert campaigns. PUAs usually also have data tracking abilities.
Information of interest includes: URLs visited, webpages viewed, search queries typed, IP addresses/ geolocations, personally identifiable details, and so forth. PUA developers monetize the collected data by sharing it with and/or selling it to third-parties.
In summary, the presence of unwanted software on devices can lead to system infections, severe privacy issues, financial losses, and even identity theft. To ensure device integrity and user privacy, all dubious applications and browser extensions/plug-ins must be removed without delay.
|Threat Type||Push notifications ads, Unwanted ads, Pop-up ads|
|Detection Names||Bfore.Ai PreCrime (Malicious), CyRadar (Malicious), Fortinet (Malware), Webroot (Malicious), Full List Of Detections (VirusTotal)|
|Symptoms||Seeing advertisements not originating from the sites you are browsing. Intrusive pop-up ads. Decreased Internet browsing speed.|
|Distribution Methods||Deceptive pop-up ads, potentially unwanted applications (adware)|
|Damage||Decreased computer performance, browser tracking - privacy issues, possible additional malware infections.|
|Malware Removal (Windows)||
To eliminate possible malware infections, scan your computer with legitimate antivirus software. Our security researchers recommend using Combo Cleaner.
Potentially unwanted applications in general
PUAs typically appear legitimate and harmless. Users are enticed into download/installation with offers of "handy" features; however, they are seldom operational. The only goal of unwanted applications is to generate revenue for the developers. PUAs are designed to cause redirects, run intrusive ad campaigns, and collect private data.
How did adware install on my computer?
PUAs are spread via downloaders/installers of other programs. This false marketing tactic of packing regular software with unwanted or malicious additions - is called "bundling". Rushed download/installation processes (e.g., skipped steps, used pre-set options, etc.) increase the risk of allowing bundled content into the device.
Intrusive adverts are also used to distribute PUAs. Upon being clicked, the advertisements can execute scripts to make downloads/installations without user consent. PUAs may have "official" promotional webpages from which they can be downloaded and/or purchased.
How to avoid installation of potentially unwanted applications?
It is strongly advised to research software before download/installation. Only official and verified download channels must be used. Untrustworthy download channels, e.g., unofficial and free file-hosting websites, Peer-to-Peer sharing networks, and other third-party downloaders - often offer bundled content.
Download/Installation processes must be treated with care; that includes - reading terms, studying all available options, using the "Custom/Advanced" settings to opt-out from additional apps, tools, etc. Intrusive ads appear legitimate, yet they redirect to questionable sites (e.g., gambling, pornography, adult-dating, and so on).
In case of encounters with such adverts and/or redirects, the device must be checked and all suspect applications and browser extensions/plug-ins detected - immediately removed from it. If your computer is already infected with rogue applications, we recommend running a scan with Combo Cleaner Antivirus for Windows to automatically eliminate them.
Screenshots of advertisements delivered by the time4news[.]net website:
Appearance of the time4news[.]net website (GIF):
IMPORTANT NOTE! This deceptive site asks to enable web browser notifications.
Therefore, before commencing, perform these steps:
Google Chrome (PC):
- Click the Menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the screen and select "Settings"
- Scroll down to the "Privacy and security" section, select "Site settings" and then "Notifications"
- Click three dots on the right hand side of each suspicious URL and select "Block" or "Remove" (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
Google Chrome (Android):
- Click on the Menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the screen and tap "Settings"
- Scroll down, tap on "Site settings" and then "Notifications"
- In the opened window, locate all suspicious URLs and tap on them one-by-one
- Once the pop-up shows up, select either "Block" or "Remove" (if you tap "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click the Menu button (three bars) on the right upper corner of the screen
- Select "Settings" and click on "Privacy & Security" in the toolbar on the left hand side of the screen
- Scroll down to the "Permissions" section and click the "Settings" button next to "Notifications"
- In the opened window, locate all suspicious URLs and block them using the drop-down menu or either remove them by clicking "Remove Website" at the bottom of the window (if you click "Remove Website" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click the menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the Edge window and select "Settings"
- Click on "Cookies and site permissions" in the toolbar on the left hand side of the screen and select "Notifications"
- Click three dots on the right hand side of each suspicious URL under "Allow" section and click "Block" or "Remove" (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click "Safari" button on the left upper corner of the screen and select "Preferences..."
- Select the "Websites" tab and then select "Notifications" section on the left pane
- Check for suspicious URLs and apply the "Deny" option using the drop-down menu or either remove them by clicking "Remove" at the bottom of the window (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
Instant automatic malware removal:
Manual threat removal might be a lengthy and complicated process that requires advanced computer skills. Combo Cleaner is a professional automatic malware removal tool that is recommended to get rid of malware. Download it by clicking the button below:
- What is time4news[.]net?
- STEP 1. Uninstall adware applications using Control Panel.
- STEP 2. Remove rogue plug-ins from Google Chrome.
- STEP 3. Remove adware-type extensions from Mozilla Firefox.
- STEP 4. Remove malicious extensions from Safari.
- STEP 5. Remove rogue plug-ins from Microsoft Edge.
Windows 10 users:
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen, in the Quick Access Menu select Control Panel. In the opened window choose Programs and Features.
Windows 7 users:
Click Start (Windows Logo at the bottom left corner of your desktop), choose Control Panel. Locate Programs and click Uninstall a program.
macOS (OSX) users:
Click Finder, in the opened screen select Applications. Drag the app from the Applications folder to the Trash (located in your Dock), then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
In the uninstall programs window, look for any potentially unwanted applications, select these entries and click "Uninstall" or "Remove".
After uninstalling the potentially unwanted application that causes time4news[.]net redirects, scan your computer for any remaining unwanted components or possible malware infections. To scan your computer, use recommended malware removal software.
Remove adware from Internet browsers:
Video showing how to eliminate ads delivered by time4news[.]net using Combo Cleaner:
Remove malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
Click the Chrome menu icon (at the top right corner of Google Chrome), select "More tools" and click "Extensions". Locate all recently-installed suspicious browser add-ons and remove them.
If you continue to have problems with removal of the time4news.net pop-up, reset your Google Chrome browser settings. Click the Chrome menu icon (at the top right corner of Google Chrome) and select Settings. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen. Click the Advanced… link.
After scrolling to the bottom of the screen, click the Reset (Restore settings to their original defaults) button.
In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Google Chrome settings to default by clicking the Reset button.
Remove malicious plug-ins from Mozilla Firefox:
Click the Firefox menu (at the top right corner of the main window), select "Add-ons". Click "Extensions", in the opened window, remove all recently-installed suspicious browser plug-ins.
Computer users who have problems with time4news.net pop-up removal can reset their Mozilla Firefox settings.
Open Mozilla Firefox, at the top right corner of the main window, click the Firefox menu, in the opened menu, click Help.
Select Troubleshooting Information.
In the opened window, click the Refresh Firefox button.
In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Mozilla Firefox settings to default by clicking the Refresh Firefox button.
Remove malicious extensions from Safari:
Make sure your Safari browser is active, click Safari menu, and select Preferences....
In the opened window click Extensions, locate any recently installed suspicious extension, select it and click Uninstall.
Make sure your Safari browser is active and click on Safari menu. From the drop down menu select Clear History and Website Data...
In the opened window select all history and click the Clear History button.
Remove malicious extensions from Microsoft Edge:
Click the Edge menu icon (at the upper-right corner of Microsoft Edge), select "Extensions". Locate all recently-installed suspicious browser add-ons and click "Remove" below their names.
If you continue to have problems with removal of the time4news.net pop-up, reset your Microsoft Edge browser settings. Click the Edge menu icon (at the top right corner of Microsoft Edge) and select Settings.
In the opened settings menu select Reset settings.
Select Restore settings to their default values. In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Microsoft Edge settings to default by clicking the Reset button.
- If this did not help, follow these alternative instructions explaining how to reset the Microsoft Edge browser.
Commonly, adware or potentially unwanted applications infiltrate Internet browsers through free software downloads. Note that the safest source for downloading free software is via developers' websites only. To avoid installation of adware, be very attentive when downloading and installing free software. When installing previously-downloaded free programs, choose the custom or advanced installation options – this step will reveal any potentially unwanted applications listed for installation together with your chosen free program.
If you are experiencing problems while trying to remove time4news.net pop-up from your computer, please ask for assistance in our malware support forum.
Post a comment:
If you have additional information on time4news.net pop-up or it's removal please share your knowledge in the comments section below.