What kind of website is mateyhecrie[.]xyz?
Mateyhecrie[.]xyz loads deceptive content to trick visitors into allowing it to show notifications and opens questionable websites. It serves the same purpose as ngecauuksehi[.]xyz, current-captcha[.]top, jollycrowds[.]com, and plenty of other pages. Users open these pages inadvertently.
Mateyhecrie[.]xyz website in detail
Mateyhecrie[.]xyz displays a fake CAPTCHA to trick visitors into clicking the "Allow" button to agree to receive notifications from it. Notifications displayed by mateyhecrie[.]xyz promote various scams, download pages for potentially unwanted applications (PUAs), sites designed to trick users into providing personal information, and so on.
Also, mateyhecrie[.]xyz redirects its visitors to untrustworthy pages. It is strongly recommended not to visit mateyhecrie[.]xyz (or allow it to show notifications). Most users end up on pages like mateyhecrie[.]xyz by clicking shady ads, visiting other untrustworthy pages, or via installed PUAs.
|Name||Ads by mateyhecrie.xyz|
|Threat Type||Push notifications ads, Unwanted ads, Pop-up ads|
|Detection Names||ESET (Malware), Forcepoint ThreatSeeker (Suspicious), Full List Of Detections (VirusTotal)|
|Symptoms||Seeing advertisements not originating from the sites you are browsing. Intrusive pop-up ads. Decreased Internet browsing speed.|
|Distribution Methods||Deceptive pop-up ads, potentially unwanted applications (adware)|
|Damage||Decreased computer performance, browser tracking - privacy issues, possible additional malware infections.|
|Malware Removal (Windows)||
To eliminate possible malware infections, scan your computer with legitimate antivirus software. Our security researchers recommend using Combo Cleaner.
Mateyhecrie[.]xyz and other pages of this type in general
Mateyhecrie[.]xyz and similar websites use clickbait techniques to trick visitors into agreeing to receive notifications from them and promote other dubious pages. In some cases, they can open legitimate pages. As a rule, users install PUAs designed to promote pages of this kind unknowingly.
How did adware install on my computer?
Users download or install potentially unwanted applications through downloaders or installers for other programs when they do not deselect optional downloads or installations. Usually, it can be done using "Custom", "Manual", "Advanced", or other settings available in those downloaders or installers.
In other cases, users unknowingly download or install PUAs through fake installers downloaded from untrustworthy pages or by clicking advertisements. Ads can cause unexpected downloads or installations when they are designed to execute specific scripts.
How to avoid installation of potentially unwanted applications?
Applications (and files) should be downloaded from official, trustworthy websites. Third-party downloaders, installers, Peer-to-Peer networks, unofficial websites, etc., can be used to distribute unwanted, malicious apps. Downloaders and installers that have settings should be checked for optional downloads or installations.
Advertisements appearing on shady web pages should not be trusted. If your computer is already infected with rogue applications, we recommend running a scan with Combo Cleaner Antivirus for Windows to automatically eliminate them.
Appearance of mateyhecrie[.]xyz website (GIF):
Notifications from mateyhecrie[.]xyz:
IMPORTANT NOTE! This deceptive site asks to enable web browser notifications.
Therefore, before commencing, perform these steps:
Google Chrome (PC):
- Click the Menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the screen and select "Settings"
- Scroll down to the "Privacy and security" section, select "Site settings" and then "Notifications"
- Click three dots on the right hand side of each suspicious URL and select "Block" or "Remove" (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
Google Chrome (Android):
- Click on the Menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the screen and tap "Settings"
- Scroll down, tap on "Site settings" and then "Notifications"
- In the opened window, locate all suspicious URLs and tap on them one-by-one
- Once the pop-up shows up, select either "Block" or "Remove" (if you tap "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click the Menu button (three bars) on the right upper corner of the screen
- Select "Settings" and click on "Privacy & Security" in the toolbar on the left hand side of the screen
- Scroll down to the "Permissions" section and click the "Settings" button next to "Notifications"
- In the opened window, locate all suspicious URLs and block them using the drop-down menu or either remove them by clicking "Remove Website" at the bottom of the window (if you click "Remove Website" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click the menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the Edge window and select "Settings"
- Click on "Cookies and site permissions" in the toolbar on the left hand side of the screen and select "Notifications"
- Click three dots on the right hand side of each suspicious URL under "Allow" section and click "Block" or "Remove" (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click "Safari" button on the left upper corner of the screen and select "Preferences..."
- Select the "Websites" tab and then select "Notifications" section on the left pane
- Check for suspicious URLs and apply the "Deny" option using the drop-down menu or either remove them by clicking "Remove" at the bottom of the window (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
Instant automatic malware removal:
Manual threat removal might be a lengthy and complicated process that requires advanced computer skills. Combo Cleaner is a professional automatic malware removal tool that is recommended to get rid of malware. Download it by clicking the button below:
- What is mateyhecrie[.]xyz?
- STEP 1. Uninstall adware applications using Control Panel.
- STEP 2. Remove rogue plug-ins from Google Chrome.
- STEP 3. Remove adware-type extensions from Mozilla Firefox.
- STEP 4. Remove malicious extensions from Safari.
- STEP 5. Remove rogue plug-ins from Microsoft Edge.
Windows 11 users:
Right-click on the Start icon, select Apps and Features. In the opened window search for the application you want to uninstall, after locating it, click on the three vertical dots and select Uninstall.
Windows 10 users:
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen, in the Quick Access Menu select Control Panel. In the opened window choose Programs and Features.
Windows 7 users:
Click Start (Windows Logo at the bottom left corner of your desktop), choose Control Panel. Locate Programs and click Uninstall a program.
macOS (OSX) users:
Click Finder, in the opened screen select Applications. Drag the app from the Applications folder to the Trash (located in your Dock), then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
In the uninstall programs window, look for any potentially unwanted applications, select these entries and click "Uninstall" or "Remove".
After uninstalling the potentially unwanted application that causes mateyhecrie[.]xyz redirects, scan your computer for any remaining unwanted components or possible malware infections. To scan your computer, use recommended malware removal software.
Remove adware from Internet browsers:
Video showing how to remove potentially unwanted browser add-ons:
Remove malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
Click the Chrome menu icon (at the top right corner of Google Chrome), select "More tools" and click "Extensions". Locate all recently-installed suspicious browser add-ons and remove them.
If you continue to have problems with removal of the ads by mateyhecrie.xyz, reset your Google Chrome browser settings. Click the Chrome menu icon (at the top right corner of Google Chrome) and select Settings. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen. Click the Advanced… link.
After scrolling to the bottom of the screen, click the Reset (Restore settings to their original defaults) button.
In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Google Chrome settings to default by clicking the Reset button.
Remove malicious plug-ins from Mozilla Firefox:
Click the Firefox menu (at the top right corner of the main window), select "Add-ons". Click "Extensions", in the opened window, remove all recently-installed suspicious browser plug-ins.
Computer users who have problems with ads by mateyhecrie.xyz removal can reset their Mozilla Firefox settings.
Open Mozilla Firefox, at the top right corner of the main window, click the Firefox menu, in the opened menu, click Help.
Select Troubleshooting Information.
In the opened window, click the Refresh Firefox button.
In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Mozilla Firefox settings to default by clicking the Refresh Firefox button.
Remove malicious extensions from Safari:
Make sure your Safari browser is active, click Safari menu, and select Preferences....
In the opened window click Extensions, locate any recently installed suspicious extension, select it and click Uninstall.
Make sure your Safari browser is active and click on Safari menu. From the drop down menu select Clear History and Website Data...
In the opened window select all history and click the Clear History button.
Remove malicious extensions from Microsoft Edge:
Click the Edge menu icon (at the upper-right corner of Microsoft Edge), select "Extensions". Locate all recently-installed suspicious browser add-ons and click "Remove" below their names.
If you continue to have problems with removal of the ads by mateyhecrie.xyz, reset your Microsoft Edge browser settings. Click the Edge menu icon (at the top right corner of Microsoft Edge) and select Settings.
In the opened settings menu select Reset settings.
Select Restore settings to their default values. In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Microsoft Edge settings to default by clicking the Reset button.
- If this did not help, follow these alternative instructions explaining how to reset the Microsoft Edge browser.
Commonly, adware or potentially unwanted applications infiltrate Internet browsers through free software downloads. Note that the safest source for downloading free software is via developers' websites only. To avoid installation of adware, be very attentive when downloading and installing free software. When installing previously-downloaded free programs, choose the custom or advanced installation options – this step will reveal any potentially unwanted applications listed for installation together with your chosen free program.
Post a comment:
If you have additional information on ads by mateyhecrie.xyz or it's removal please share your knowledge in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why am I seeing ads (browser notifications) delivered by mateyhecrie[.]xyz in the right lower corner of my desktop?
Websites display notifications only if users allow them to. It means that mateyhecrie[.]xyz has been visited before and allowed to show notifications.
I have clicked on notification ads, is my computer infected?
Clicking on a notification displayed by mateyhecrie[.]xyz or other page of this type is harmless by itself. However, a website (or websites) opened through that notification can be malicious.
Is mateyhecrie[.]xyz a virus?
Mateyhecrie[.]xyz and other similar pages are not considered to be viruses. These pages are designed to trick users into allowing them to show notifications. Also, they redirect visitors to questionable pages. Their purpose is to promote shady pages, various scams, unwanted apps.
Will Combo Cleaner remove mateyhecrie[.]xyz ads automatically or manual steps are still required?
Yes, Combo Cleaner will scan your computer and remove all the permissions granted for mateyhecrie[.]xyz. It will also block all further access to this website without needing to take any additional steps.