What is captchacheckout[.]top?
Captchacheckout[.]top uses a clickbait technique to trick visitors into clicking the "Allow" button (into allowing it to show notifications) and opens other untrustworthy websites. Captchacheckout[.]top is similar to captchaverifier[.]top, captcha-bros[.]com, news-bobicu[.]cc, and a great number of other websites.
Captchacheckout[.]top in detail
Typically, websites like captchacheckout[.]top are promoted through shady advertisements, potentially malicious websites, and potentially unwanted applications (PUAs). In other words, users do not visit captchacheckout[.]top and similar pages intentionally. Once visited, they encourage visitors to click the "Allow" button.
Captchacheckout[.]top displays a fake CAPTCHA test with a message claiming that visitors need to click the "Allow" button to prove that they are not robots. It is important to know that notifications displayed by pages like captchacheckout[.]top contain links to untrustworthy websites, deceptive advertisements, and so on.
Furthermore, captchacheckout[.]top is designed to open questionable websites. At the time of the research, it opened a website designed to download some file (possibly a file designed to install a potentially unwanted application). Also, captchacheckout[.]top could open pages similar to "Win The New iPhone 12", "SPIN FOR REWARD", and other shady pages.
It is worth mentioning that captchacheckout[.]top may open legitimate websites. In such cases, its developers would be paid a referral fee for every created account, or a product (or service) purchased on a website opened through captchacheckout[.]top. In most cases, pages like captchacheckout[.]top open legitimate sports betting, gaming or other pages.
More about potentially unwanted applications
It is noteworthy that PUAs can be designed to display advertisements and collect data. It is common that apps of this kind generate pop-up ads, banners, various coupons, banners, and so on. Usually, those ads are designed to advertise shady websites. In some cases, they cause downloads or installations by running certain scripts.
Also, PUAs can be designed to collect browsing-related data information, for example, IP addresses, entered search queries, visited websites, geolocations. What is worse, apps of this kind can be designed to access personal data that could be used to steal accounts, make unauthorized purchases, transactions, or other purposes.
|Name||Ads by captchacheckout.top|
|Threat Type||Push notifications ads, Unwanted ads, Pop-up ads|
|Detection Names||Fortinet (Malware), Spamhaus (Spam), Full List Of Detections (VirusTotal)|
|Symptoms||Seeing advertisements not originating from the sites you are browsing. Intrusive pop-up ads. Decreased Internet browsing speed.|
|Distribution Methods||Deceptive pop-up ads, potentially unwanted applications (adware)|
|Damage||Decreased computer performance, browser tracking - privacy issues, possible additional malware infections.|
|Malware Removal (Windows)||
To eliminate possible malware infections, scan your computer with legitimate antivirus software. Our security researchers recommend using Combo Cleaner.
Websites like captchacheckout[.]top in general
Once visited, captchacheckout[.]top and similar websites load deceptive content and (or) open about two, three other unreliable websites. Typically, users open them unintentionally - by clicking dubious ads or visiting other shady websites. It is also common that browsers open websites of this kind because they have some PUA installed on them.
How did adware install on my computer?
One of the popular ways to distribute PUAs is through downloaders and installers for free programs (freeware). Users download and install PUAs together with other programs when they do not deselect unwanted offers. Typically, it can be done via "Advanced", "Custom", or other settings, or by unticking ticked checkboxes.
Another way to distribute PUAs is to use fake installers and deceptive advertisements. In the second case, users download or install PUAs by clicking advertisements designed to execute certain scripts. It is worth mentioning that fake installers are promoted on untrustworthy websites. The same applies to deceptive advertisements.
How to avoid installation of potentially unwanted applications?
Unwanted downloads and installations can be avoided by downloading apps and files from official, legitimate pages and via direct download links. Third-party downloaders, Peer-to-Peer networks (like torrent clients, eMule), questionable websites, or other similar channels tend to be used to distribute unwanted apps.
Another way to avoid unexpected downloads, installations is to check downloaders and installers for "Custom", "Advanced" or other similar settings and decline additionally included (bundled) applications. One more way to avoid that is not to trust advertisements that appear on untrustworthy pages.
If any unwanted applications (extensions, plug-ins, and add-ons) are installed on browsers and programs of this kind are installed on the operating system, they should be removed. If your computer is already infected with rogue applications, we recommend running a scan with Combo Cleaner Antivirus for Windows to automatically eliminate them.
Appearance of captchacheckout[.]top website (GIF):
IMPORTANT NOTE! This deceptive site asks to enable web browser notifications.
Therefore, before commencing, perform these steps:
Google Chrome (PC):
- Click the Menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the screen and select "Settings"
- Scroll down to the "Privacy and security" section, select "Site settings" and then "Notifications"
- Click three dots on the right hand side of each suspicious URL and select "Block" or "Remove" (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
Google Chrome (Android):
- Click on the Menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the screen and tap "Settings"
- Scroll down, tap on "Site settings" and then "Notifications"
- In the opened window, locate all suspicious URLs and tap on them one-by-one
- Once the pop-up shows up, select either "Block" or "Remove" (if you tap "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click the Menu button (three bars) on the right upper corner of the screen
- Select "Settings" and click on "Privacy & Security" in the toolbar on the left hand side of the screen
- Scroll down to the "Permissions" section and click the "Settings" button next to "Notifications"
- In the opened window, locate all suspicious URLs and block them using the drop-down menu or either remove them by clicking "Remove Website" at the bottom of the window (if you click "Remove Website" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click the menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the Edge window and select "Settings"
- Click on "Cookies and site permissions" in the toolbar on the left hand side of the screen and select "Notifications"
- Click three dots on the right hand side of each suspicious URL under "Allow" section and click "Block" or "Remove" (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click "Safari" button on the left upper corner of the screen and select "Preferences..."
- Select the "Websites" tab and then select "Notifications" section on the left pane
- Check for suspicious URLs and apply the "Deny" option using the drop-down menu or either remove them by clicking "Remove" at the bottom of the window (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
Instant automatic malware removal:
Manual threat removal might be a lengthy and complicated process that requires advanced computer skills. Combo Cleaner is a professional automatic malware removal tool that is recommended to get rid of malware. Download it by clicking the button below:
- What is captchacheckout[.]top?
- STEP 1. Uninstall adware applications using Control Panel.
- STEP 2. Remove rogue plug-ins from Google Chrome.
- STEP 3. Remove adware-type extensions from Mozilla Firefox.
- STEP 4. Remove malicious extensions from Safari.
- STEP 5. Remove rogue plug-ins from Microsoft Edge.
Windows 10 users:
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen, in the Quick Access Menu select Control Panel. In the opened window choose Programs and Features.
Windows 7 users:
Click Start (Windows Logo at the bottom left corner of your desktop), choose Control Panel. Locate Programs and click Uninstall a program.
macOS (OSX) users:
Click Finder, in the opened screen select Applications. Drag the app from the Applications folder to the Trash (located in your Dock), then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
In the uninstall programs window, look for any potentially unwanted applications, select these entries and click "Uninstall" or "Remove".
After uninstalling the potentially unwanted application that causes captchacheckout[.]top redirects, scan your computer for any remaining unwanted components or possible malware infections. To scan your computer, use recommended malware removal software.
Remove adware from Internet browsers:
Video showing how to eliminate ads delivered by captchacheckout[.]top using Combo Cleaner:
Remove malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
Click the Chrome menu icon (at the top right corner of Google Chrome), select "More tools" and click "Extensions". Locate all recently-installed suspicious browser add-ons and remove them.
If you continue to have problems with removal of the ads by captchacheckout.top, reset your Google Chrome browser settings. Click the Chrome menu icon (at the top right corner of Google Chrome) and select Settings. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen. Click the Advanced… link.
After scrolling to the bottom of the screen, click the Reset (Restore settings to their original defaults) button.
In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Google Chrome settings to default by clicking the Reset button.
Remove malicious plug-ins from Mozilla Firefox:
Click the Firefox menu (at the top right corner of the main window), select "Add-ons". Click "Extensions", in the opened window, remove all recently-installed suspicious browser plug-ins.
Computer users who have problems with ads by captchacheckout.top removal can reset their Mozilla Firefox settings.
Open Mozilla Firefox, at the top right corner of the main window, click the Firefox menu, in the opened menu, click Help.
Select Troubleshooting Information.
In the opened window, click the Refresh Firefox button.
In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Mozilla Firefox settings to default by clicking the Refresh Firefox button.
Remove malicious extensions from Safari:
Make sure your Safari browser is active, click Safari menu, and select Preferences....
In the opened window click Extensions, locate any recently installed suspicious extension, select it and click Uninstall.
Make sure your Safari browser is active and click on Safari menu. From the drop down menu select Clear History and Website Data...
In the opened window select all history and click the Clear History button.
Remove malicious extensions from Microsoft Edge:
Click the Edge menu icon (at the upper-right corner of Microsoft Edge), select "Extensions". Locate all recently-installed suspicious browser add-ons and click "Remove" below their names.
If you continue to have problems with removal of the ads by captchacheckout.top, reset your Microsoft Edge browser settings. Click the Edge menu icon (at the top right corner of Microsoft Edge) and select Settings.
In the opened settings menu select Reset settings.
Select Restore settings to their default values. In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Microsoft Edge settings to default by clicking the Reset button.
- If this did not help, follow these alternative instructions explaining how to reset the Microsoft Edge browser.
Commonly, adware or potentially unwanted applications infiltrate Internet browsers through free software downloads. Note that the safest source for downloading free software is via developers' websites only. To avoid installation of adware, be very attentive when downloading and installing free software. When installing previously-downloaded free programs, choose the custom or advanced installation options – this step will reveal any potentially unwanted applications listed for installation together with your chosen free program.
If you are experiencing problems while trying to remove ads by captchacheckout.top from your computer, please ask for assistance in our malware support forum.
Post a comment:
If you have additional information on ads by captchacheckout.top or it's removal please share your knowledge in the comments section below.