How to remove ads delivered by the yt5s.com dubious audio/video download site?
Written by Tomas Meskauskas on (updated)
What is yt5s[.]com?
Yt5s[.]com is a rogue website allowing users to download audio and/or video from YouTube. Sites of this type infringe copyright laws; however, they also pose threats to their visitors. Yt5s[.]com employs rogue advertising networks, through which it promotes various untrustworthy and malicious websites.
There are thousands of rogue sites that are monetization in this manner on the Web; y2convert.net, 1337x.to, yt1s.com, 1stkissmanga.com, and up-load.io are but a few examples.
Yt5s[.]com in detail
Webpages that use rogue advertising networks promote various sites by force-opening them when they are accessed or by causing redirects when the content hosted on them (e.g., buttons, links, ads, etc.) is clicked. The endorsed websites can be sale-oriented (of either legitimate or fake products), unreliable, deceptive/scam, and even malicious.
Furthermore, rogue pages often try to lure users into allowing them to deliver browser notifications and/or host intrusive adverts (e.g., pop-ups, banners, etc.). These notifications/advertisements promote likewise untrustworthy and dangerous webpages. Furthermore, some intrusive ads can stealthily download/install software - when they are clicked on.
|Name||Ads by yt5s.com|
|Threat Type||Push notifications ads, Unwanted ads, Pop-up ads|
|Detection Names||N/A (VirusTotal)|
|Serving IP Address||220.127.116.11|
|Observed Domains||s78.yt5s[.]com; s79.yt5s[.]com; s90.yt5s[.]com|
|Symptoms||Seeing advertisements not originating from the sites you are browsing. Intrusive pop-up ads. Decreased Internet browsing speed.|
|Distribution Methods||Deceptive pop-up ads, potentially unwanted applications (adware)|
|Damage||Decreased computer performance, browser tracking - privacy issues, possible additional malware infections.|
|Malware Removal (Windows)||
To eliminate possible malware infections, scan your computer with legitimate antivirus software. Our security researchers recommend using Combo Cleaner.
Potentially unwanted application overview
Rogue webpages are often accessed inadvertently; typically, via redirects caused by suspect sites, intrusive ads, or installed PUAs (Potentially Unwanted Applications). These apps can infiltrate systems and have other/additional harmful functionalities.
Although unwanted software appears harmless, it can force-open websites, run intrusive ad campaigns (adware), modify browsers (browser hijacker), and collect private data. In summary, PUAs can cause system infections, severe privacy issues, financial losses, and even lead to identity theft.
How did adware install on my computer?
PUAs can have "official" promotional/download pages, which are often endorsed through dubious means. These apps are also spread by using the "bundling" method - packing ordinary programs with various supplements. Rushed downloads/installations increase the risk of allowing bundled content into the system. Once clicked on, intrusive adverts can execute scripts to make downloads/installations without user consent.
How to avoid installation of potentially unwanted applications?
It is highly recommended to research software and download from official/verified channels. Untrustworthy sources, e.g., unofficial and free file-hosting sites, Peer-to-Peer sharing networks, etc. - commonly offer bundled/hazardous content.
When downloading/installing, it is advised to read terms, explore possible options, use the "Custom/Advanced" settings, and opt-out from all additions. Intrusive advertisements appear innocuous, yet they redirect to questionable websites (e.g., gambling, pornography, adult-dating, etc.).
In case of encounters with ads and/or redirects of this kind, the system must be checked and all suspicious applications and browser extensions/plug-ins detected - removed from it without delay. If your computer is already infected with rogue applications, we recommend running a scan with Combo Cleaner Antivirus for Windows to automatically eliminate them.
Screenshot of an advert delivered by the yt5s[.]com website:
Appearance of the yt5s[.]com website (GIF):
IMPORTANT NOTE! This deceptive site asks to enable web browser notifications.
Therefore, before commencing, perform these steps:
Google Chrome (PC):
- Click the Menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the screen and select "Settings"
- Scroll down to the "Privacy and security" section, select "Site settings" and then "Notifications"
- Click three dots on the right hand side of each suspicious URL and select "Block" or "Remove" (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
Google Chrome (Android):
- Click on the Menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the screen and tap "Settings"
- Scroll down, tap on "Site settings" and then "Notifications"
- In the opened window, locate all suspicious URLs and tap on them one-by-one
- Once the pop-up shows up, select either "Block" or "Remove" (if you tap "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click the Menu button (three bars) on the right upper corner of the screen
- Select "Settings" and click on "Privacy & Security" in the toolbar on the left hand side of the screen
- Scroll down to the "Permissions" section and click the "Settings" button next to "Notifications"
- In the opened window, locate all suspicious URLs and block them using the drop-down menu or either remove them by clicking "Remove Website" at the bottom of the window (if you click "Remove Website" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click the menu button (three dots) on the right upper corner of the Edge window and select "Settings"
- Click on "Cookies and site permissions" in the toolbar on the left hand side of the screen and select "Notifications"
- Click three dots on the right hand side of each suspicious URL under "Allow" section and click "Block" or "Remove" (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
- Click "Safari" button on the left upper corner of the screen and select "Preferences..."
- Select the "Websites" tab and then select "Notifications" section on the left pane
- Check for suspicious URLs and apply the "Deny" option using the drop-down menu or either remove them by clicking "Remove" at the bottom of the window (if you click "Remove" and visit the malicious site once more, it will ask to enable notifications again)
Instant automatic malware removal:
Manual threat removal might be a lengthy and complicated process that requires advanced computer skills. Combo Cleaner is a professional automatic malware removal tool that is recommended to get rid of malware. Download it by clicking the button below:
- What is yt5s[.]com?
- STEP 1. Uninstall adware applications using Control Panel.
- STEP 2. Remove rogue plug-ins from Google Chrome.
- STEP 3. Remove adware-type extensions from Mozilla Firefox.
- STEP 4. Remove malicious extensions from Safari.
- STEP 5. Remove rogue plug-ins from Microsoft Edge.
Windows 11 users:
Right-click on the Start icon, select Apps and Features. In the opened window search for the application you want to uninstall, after locating it, click on the three vertical dots and select Uninstall.
Windows 10 users:
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen, in the Quick Access Menu select Control Panel. In the opened window choose Programs and Features.
Windows 7 users:
Click Start (Windows Logo at the bottom left corner of your desktop), choose Control Panel. Locate Programs and click Uninstall a program.
macOS (OSX) users:
Click Finder, in the opened screen select Applications. Drag the app from the Applications folder to the Trash (located in your Dock), then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
In the uninstall programs window, look for any potentially unwanted applications, select these entries and click "Uninstall" or "Remove".
After uninstalling the potentially unwanted application that causes yt5s[.]com redirects, scan your computer for any remaining unwanted components or possible malware infections. To scan your computer, use recommended malware removal software.
Remove adware from Internet browsers:
Video showing how to remove potentially unwanted browser add-ons:
Remove malicious extensions from Google Chrome:
Click the Chrome menu icon (at the top right corner of Google Chrome), select "More tools" and click "Extensions". Locate all recently-installed suspicious browser add-ons and remove them.
If you continue to have problems with removal of the ads by yt5s.com, reset your Google Chrome browser settings. Click the Chrome menu icon (at the top right corner of Google Chrome) and select Settings. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen. Click the Advanced… link.
After scrolling to the bottom of the screen, click the Reset (Restore settings to their original defaults) button.
In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Google Chrome settings to default by clicking the Reset button.
Remove malicious plug-ins from Mozilla Firefox:
Click the Firefox menu (at the top right corner of the main window), select "Add-ons". Click "Extensions", in the opened window, remove all recently-installed suspicious browser plug-ins.
Computer users who have problems with ads by yt5s.com removal can reset their Mozilla Firefox settings.
Open Mozilla Firefox, at the top right corner of the main window, click the Firefox menu, in the opened menu, click Help.
Select Troubleshooting Information.
In the opened window, click the Refresh Firefox button.
In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Mozilla Firefox settings to default by clicking the Refresh Firefox button.
Remove malicious extensions from Safari:
Make sure your Safari browser is active, click Safari menu, and select Preferences....
In the opened window click Extensions, locate any recently installed suspicious extension, select it and click Uninstall.
Make sure your Safari browser is active and click on Safari menu. From the drop down menu select Clear History and Website Data...
In the opened window select all history and click the Clear History button.
Remove malicious extensions from Microsoft Edge:
Click the Edge menu icon (at the upper-right corner of Microsoft Edge), select "Extensions". Locate all recently-installed suspicious browser add-ons and click "Remove" below their names.
If you continue to have problems with removal of the ads by yt5s.com, reset your Microsoft Edge browser settings. Click the Edge menu icon (at the top right corner of Microsoft Edge) and select Settings.
In the opened settings menu select Reset settings.
Select Restore settings to their default values. In the opened window, confirm that you wish to reset Microsoft Edge settings to default by clicking the Reset button.
- If this did not help, follow these alternative instructions explaining how to reset the Microsoft Edge browser.
Commonly, adware or potentially unwanted applications infiltrate Internet browsers through free software downloads. Note that the safest source for downloading free software is via developers' websites only. To avoid installation of adware, be very attentive when downloading and installing free software. When installing previously-downloaded free programs, choose the custom or advanced installation options – this step will reveal any potentially unwanted applications listed for installation together with your chosen free program.
Post a comment:
If you have additional information on ads by yt5s.com or it's removal please share your knowledge in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Why am I seeing ads (browser notifications) delivered by yt5s[.]com in the right lower corner of my desktop?
Websites display browser notifications when users give them permission. Hence, you have likely visited yt5s[.]com and permitted the site to deliver them. It is worth mentioning that such websites are often entered inadvertently, and they typically use deceptive content (e.g., clickbait, etc.) to trick visitors into allowing their notifications.
I have clicked on notification ads, is my computer infected?
System infections are not jumpstarted by users clicking on browser notifications. However, the sites and applications endorsed through these advertisements - can be malicious and cause malware infections.
Is yt5s[.]com a virus?
While the yt5s[.]com website is not considered to be a virus - it can promote such content. Sites that use rogue advertising networks often push various scams, untrustworthy and harmful websites, as well as unwanted and malicious software.
Will Combo Cleaner remove yt5s[.]com ads automatically or manual steps are still required?
Yes, Combo Cleaner will scan your device and revert the permissions granted for yt5s[.]com - and no additional steps will be necessary. Furthermore, Combo Cleaner will block access to this website.
▼ Show Discussion