System Cleaner is in Progress Virus
Written by Tomas Meskauskas on
"Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" virus - how to remove?
What is System Cleaner is in Progress?
"Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" is a ransomware infection, which locks computer users' screens and demands payment of a $200 fine to unlock it. The deceptive message within the screen locker states that it was applied due to the computer user downloading copyrighted music files, using torrents, etc. Cyber criminals responsible for creating this ransomware invented the name, "System Cleaner" - supposedly a new system designed to prevent online piracy and other law infringements. In fact, "System Cleaner" system does not exist - it is a trick designed to scare unsuspecting PC users into paying a bogus fine for supposed law infringements.
Commonly, Cyber criminals exploit the names of authorities (such as the FBI, Metropolitan Police, etc.) in order to make their deceptive messages appear authentic. In this case, however, they devised the "System Cleaner" name as an alternative strategy. Computer users should be aware that no authorities use screen lockers to collect fines for law infringements. If you see a message such as this blocking your computer screen, you have acquired a ransomware infection. Do not pay the $200 fine - you will send your money to cyber criminals and your computer will remain blocked.
"Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" is proliferated using Trojans and malicious websites. In recent cases, this ransomware was distributed using Skype. Cyber criminals created a virus targeting Skype users, which posts malicious links to infected users' contacts. More information on the Skype virus. To protect your computer from these infections, always use legitimate antivirus and antispyware programs and keep your operating system and installed programs up-to-date. If your computer screen is already locked by this ransomware, use this removal guide to unlock your PC.
A fake message shown by the "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam:
Your Computer is Inactive System Cleaner is in Progress.
You have violated federal law of the United States of America: (Article 1, Section 8, Clause 8; Article 202; Article 210 of the Criminal Code of USA which provides for a deprivation of liberty for four to twelve years.)
Your computer was recently used to visit websites prohibited on the territory of USA: to download mp3 files, child pornography, torrents, gambling, illegal drugs or other illegal activity. As a result System Cleaner was launched on your computer. System Cleaner is a program developed by the special Department of US government aimed to prevent crime and illegal activity on the Internet.
All your files are encrypted. In case you fail to pay $200 fine all your files will be permanently deleted and prohibited files will be sent to the Department with logged IP-addresses used for illegal activity.
1.To unlock your computer you are obliged to pay a fine of $200 within 48 hours.
2. The fine must be paid with the help of MoneyPak system.
3. To pay the fine you should enter digital code which is located on the back of your MoneyPak card in the payment form and press OK (if you have several codes, enter them one after the other and press OK). You can buy MoneyPak card at the nearest stores: Walgreens, Kmart, Walmart, CVS/pharmacy, SevenEleven, Rite Aid and etc.
Once you have entered your MoneyPak code you must not use it anywhere else. If your MoneyPak code is invalid or it doesn't have the necessary amount the payment will not be processed. Don't try to deceive System Cleaner or delete it from your computer. It is the newest version of System Cleaner 9.11 and it doesn't gave any analogues. If the program spots any attempts to deceive the system it will delete all files (photos, video, audio, documents, passwords, etc.) When your MoneyPak code is confirmed all your files will be unblocked but you will have to delete all illegal data from your computer immediately!
- What is System Cleaner is in Progress?
- STEP 1. "System Cleaner is in Progress" virus removal using safe mode with networking.
- STEP 2. "System Cleaner is in Progress" ransomware removal using safe mode with command prompt.
"Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" virus removal:
Start your computer in Safe Mode. Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, click OK. During your computer starting process press the F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until you see the Windows Advanced Option menu, then select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Video showing how to start Windows 7 in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Log in to the account infected with "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam. Start your Internet browser and download a legitimate anti-spyware program. Update the anti-spyware software and start a full system scan. Remove all entries detected.
After completing these steps your computer should be clean. Reboot your computer in Normal Mode.
This ransomware encrypts all files on your computer. To regain control of your files (decrypt), try using these tools:
Alternative "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam removal guide:
If this ransomware blocks your screen when you start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking, try starting your PC in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
1. During your computer starting process, press the F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list and press ENTER.
2. In the opened Command Prompt, type explorer and press Enter. This command will open the Explorer window - do not close it and continue to the next step.
3. In the Command Prompt, type regedit and press Enter. This will open the Registry Editor window.
4. In the Registry Editor window, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
5. In the right side of the window, locate "Shell" and right click on it. Click on Modify. The default value in the Data column is Explorer.exe - if you see something else displayed in this window, remove it and type Explorer.exe (take a note of whatever else was displayed in the Data column - this is the path of the rogue execution file). Use this information to navigate to the rogue executable and remove it.
6. Restart your computer, download and install legitimate anti-spyware software and perform a full system scan to eliminate any remnants of "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam.
7. This ransomware encrypts all files on your computer. To regain control of your files (decrypt), try using these tools:
If you cannot start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking (or with Command Prompt), boot your computer using a rescue disk. Some variants of ransomware disable Safe Mode, making its removal more complicated. For this step, you need access to another computer. After removing "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam from your PC, restart your computer and scan it with legitimate antispyware software to remove any possible remnants of this security infection.
Other tools known to remove "Your Computer is Inactive - System Cleaner is in Progress" scam: