Policia Federal Virus (Mexico)
Written by Tomas Meskauskas on
Policia Federal Estados Unidos Mexicanos Virus - how to unblock your computer?
What is Policia Federal Virus?
This message purports to be sent from the Policia Federal (Estados Unidos Mexicanos), blocks computer users' screens, and demands payment of a 2000 MXN fine. This is a scam which should not be trusted. In fact, this message is a ransomware infection sent, not by the Policia Federal, but by cyber criminals. Paying this fine is equivalent to sending your money to the criminals responsible for releasing this scam. This particular ransomware infection originates from a family of screen lockers called Raxm and predominantly targets PC users from Mexico. Note, however, that fake messages such as these are often localized, so that users from different countries observe the same message differently. For example, PC users from the USA observe this message as if sent by the FBI (using the English language and graphics of the FBI).
Ransomware infections are capable of determining which variant of fake message to display by detecting the IP address of the PC targeted for infiltration. Computer users should be aware that no international authorities (including the Policia Federal from Mexico) use such methods (blocking users' computer screens) to collect fines for any law violations. Messages such as this are scams proliferated by cyber criminals to extort money from unsuspecting PC users who fall for their trickery.
Note that all statements (violations of copyright law, accusations of watching pornography, etc.) displayed within the Policia Federal message are fake. If you observe a message of this type on your screen, your PC is infected with ransomware. Your system can be infected with this scam if you visit malicious websites or download video codecs or other software from non-legitimate sources. To avoid such infections, use legitimate antivirus and anti-spyware programs. Moreover, keep your operating system and installed programs (Flash, Java, etc.) up-to-date in order to drastically decrease the possibility of ransomware infections. To remove the Policia Federal virus from your PC, use the removal instructions provided.
Ukash (Smart Voucher Limited) is a legitimate company and not related to ransomware viruses - cyber criminals use this service to extort money from unsuspecting PC users.
- What is Policia Federal?
- STEP 1. "Policia Federal" virus removal using safe mode with networking.
- STEP 2. "Policia Federal" ransomware removal using System Restore.
Policia Federal virus removal:
Start your computer in Safe Mode. Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, click OK. During your computer starting process press the F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until you see the Windows Advanced Option menu, then select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Video showing how to start Windows 7 in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Log in to the account infected with Policia Federal virus. Start your Internet browser and download a legitimate anti-spyware program. Update the anti-spyware software and start a full system scan. Remove all entries detected.
Cannot boot in Safe Mode with Networking? (Policia Federal virus is blocking Safe Mode with Networking)
Video showing how to remove ransomware virus using "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and "System Restore":
1. During your computer starting process, press the F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list and press ENTER.
2. When Command Prompt Mode loads, enter the following line: cd restore and press ENTER.
3. Next, type this line: rstrui.exe and press ENTER.
4. In the opened window click "Next".
5. Select one of the available restore points and click "Next" (this will restore your computer system to an earlier time and date, prior to the ransomware infiltrating your PC).
6. In the opened window click "Yes".
7. After restoring your computer to a previous date, download and scan your PC with recommended malware removal software to eliminate any remnants of the Policia Federal virus.
Other methods used to eliminate this ransomware infection from your PC:
Remove Policia Federal virus using a Rescue Disk.