CryptON ransomware removal instructions
What is CryptON?
CryptON (also known as Cry9, Cry36, Cry128, Nemesis, X3M) CryptoLocker is a ransomware-type virus discovered by Jakub Kroustek. Once infiltrated, CryptON CryptoLocker encrypts files using RSA-2048 and AES-256 encryption algorithms. During encryption, this virus renames encrypted files using the "[original_file_name].id-[victim’s ID]firstname.lastname@example.org_" pattern. For instance, "sample.jpg" might be renamed to "email@example.com_". Following successful encryption, CryptON CryptoLocker changes the desktop wallpaper and creates a text file ("COMO_ABRIR_ARQUIVOS.txt"), placing it in each existing folder containing encrypted files. Note that CryptON CryptoLocker is not related to previously-discovered Crypton ransomware.
The desktop wallpaper and text file contain ransom-demand messages in Portuguese. Therefore, it is safe to assume that CryptON CryptoLocker's developers target users mainly from Portugal. The message states that files are encrypted and that a ransom of 1 Bitcoin (approximately, $1070) must be paid to restore them. It is also stated that the files are encrypted by high-risk ransomware called CryptoLocker, however, this is false - cyber criminals merely attempt to trick victims. As mentioned above, CryptON CryptoLocker employs RSA-2048 (asymmetric cryptography) and, therefore, public (encryption) and private (decryption) keys are generated. Decrypting files without the private key is impossible. Since the key is stored on a remote server controlled by cyber criminals, victims are encouraged to pay a ransom to receive it. Despite this, cyber criminals often ignore victims, even if payment is submitted. Therefore, there is no guarantee that your files will ever be decrypted and you might be scammed. You are strongly advised to ignore all requests to pay or contact these people. In doing so, you will simply support their malicious businesses. There are no tools capable of restoring files encrypted by CryptON CryptoLocker. Therefore, this problem can only be resolved by restoring your files/system from a backup.
Screenshot of a message encouraging users to pay a ransom to decrypt their compromised data:
There are dozens of ransomware viruses similar to CryptON CryptoLocker including Digisom, Zyka, and CryptoShield - these are just some examples from many. All have identical behavior - they encrypt files and make ransom demands. The only major difference between ransomware-type viruses are cost of decryption and type of encryption algorithm (symmetric/asymmetric) used. Distribution methods are also identical. Criminals proliferate ransomware by employing spam emails (infectious attachments), third party software download sources (torrents, eMule, freeware download websites, free file hosting websites, etc.), fake software update tools, and trojans. Therefore, you should never open files received from suspicious emails or download software from unofficial sources. Furthermore, keep your installed applications up-to-date and use a legitimate anti-virus/anti-spyware suite. Bear in mind, however, that cyber criminals often employ fake updaters to exploit software bugs/flaws to infect the system. Therefore, you should never use third party update tools.
Here’s a list of encrypted file extensions currently used by this ransomware:
.id-[victim’s ID]_locked, .id-[victim’s ID]_locked_by_krec, .id-[victim’s ID]_locked_by_perfect, .id-[victim’s ID]_x3m, .id-[victim’s ID]_r9oj, .id-[victim’s ID]firstname.lastname@example.org, .id-[victim’s ID]email@example.com_, .id-[victim’s ID]firstname.lastname@example.org_, .id-[victim’s ID]email@example.com_, .id-[victim’s ID]_CarlosBoltehero@india.com_, .id-[victim’s ID]firstname.lastname@example.org_, .id-_locked
Screenshot of CryptON CryptoLocker text file ("COMO_ABRIR_ARQUIVOS.txt"):
Ransom-demand message presented within CryptON CryptoLocker text file ("COMO_ABRIR_ARQUIVOS.txt"):
SEUS ARQUIVOS FORAM CRIPTOGRAFADOS!!!
Sua identificacao pessoal:
Toda a sua informacao importante foi criptografada.
Para recuperar seus dados precisa de um descodificador.
Para receber o decodificador deve pagar pela descodificacao.
Compre 1 BTC nestes sites:
ENDERECO BITCOIN PARA PAGAR:
Envie 1 BTC para a decodificacao
Depois de pagar:
1. Enviar captura de ecra ou foto do pagamento para o endereco: email@example.com
2. No caso de voce nao receber uma resposta, por favor me envie um e-mail aqui: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Se voce quiser permanecer anonimo ou se voce nao esta recebendo uma resposta, tente usar a mensagem bit (bitmessage.ch) e use este endereco para entrar em contato comigo:
BM-2cWSRwwinrcLGFiTNF5RxiwR8hW5jikS1m@bitmessage.ch . Este metodo funcionara 100%.
4. No e-mail deve incluir o sua identificacao pessoal (id-3057868259).
Em seguida, voce recebera o descodificador e instrucoes.
1. Voce tem 3 dias para pagar meus servicos. Apos esse periodo, voce perdera todos os seus arquivos.
2. O software anti-virus pode remover Cryptolocker, mas nao pode descriptografar seus arquivos. A unica maneira de recuperar seus arquivos - e pagar pela chave de descriptografia.
3. Informacoes para especialistas em TI:
Os dados foram criptografados com o algoritmo AES (Rijndael) com o comprimento da chave de sessao de 256 bits. A chave de sessao e criptografada com o algoritmo RSA (2048 bits). A chave publica esta incluida no Cryptolocker. A chave privada para descriptografia da chave de sessao e armazenada somente em meu banco de dados. Para quebrar essa chave, voce precisara de mais de um milhao de anos.
Screenshot of CryptON CryptoLocker desktop wallpaper:
Screenshot of files encrypted by CryptON CryptoLocker ("[original_file_name].id-[victim’s ID]email@example.com_" filename pattern):
Update 14 May, 2018 - Cyber criminals have released an updated variant of this ransomware. Here's a screenshot of the ransom demanding message (HOWTODECRYPTFILES.html):
Text presented in this ransom demanding message:
All files are encrypted!
To decrypt the files, you need to purchase special software «CryptON decryptor»
Restore the data, follow the instructions!
You can learn more / request e-mail:
You can learn more/questions in the chat:
https://cryptxf3zamy5kfz.tor2web.link (not need Tor)
https://cryptxf3zamy5kfz.onion.plus (not need Tor)
http://cryptxf3zamy5kfz.onion/ (need Tor)
You can learn more problem out bitmessage:
- If the resource is unavailable for a long time to install and use the terms of reference of the browser:
1. + Start the Internet browser
2. + Type or copy the address https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html in the address bar of your browser and press key ENTER
3. + On the website you will be prompted to download the Tor browser, download and install it. To work.
4. + Connection, click "connect" (using English version)
5. + After connecting, open a normal window Tor-browser
6. + Type or copy the address http://cryptxf3zamy5kfz.onion/ in the address bar of Tor-browser and press key ENTER
7. + Wait for the download site
// + If you have any problems with installation or usage, please visit the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgh3ABju6Q
Your personal identification ID:-
Screenshot of the wallpaper used by this ransomware:
Screenshot of files encrypted by CryptOn ransomware (.firstname.lastname@example.org extension):
CryptON ransomware removal:
Instant automatic removal of CryptON virus:
Manual threat removal might be a lengthy and complicated process that requires advanced computer skills. Spyhunter is a professional automatic malware removal tool that is recommended to get rid of CryptON virus. Download it by clicking the button below:
- What is CryptON CryptoLocker?
- STEP 1. CryptON CryptoLocker virus removal using safe mode with networking.
- STEP 2. CryptON CryptoLocker ransomware removal using System Restore.
Windows XP and Windows 7 users: Start your computer in Safe Mode. Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, click OK. During your computer start process, press the F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until you see the Windows Advanced Option menu, and then select Safe Mode with Networking from the list.
Video showing how to start Windows 7 in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Windows 8 users: Start Windows 8 is Safe Mode with Networking - Go to Windows 8 Start Screen, type Advanced, in the search results select Settings. Click Advanced startup options, in the opened "General PC Settings" window, select Advanced startup. Click the "Restart now" button. Your computer will now restart into the "Advanced Startup options menu". Click the "Troubleshoot" button, and then click the "Advanced options" button. In the advanced option screen, click "Startup settings". Click the "Restart" button. Your PC will restart into the Startup Settings screen. Press F5 to boot in Safe Mode with Networking.
Video showing how to start Windows 8 in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Windows 10 users: Click the Windows logo and select the Power icon. In the opened menu click "Restart" while holding "Shift" button on your keyboard. In the "choose an option" window click on the "Troubleshoot", next select "Advanced options". In the advanced options menu select "Startup Settings" and click on the "Restart" button. In the following window you should click the "F5" button on your keyboard. This will restart your operating system in safe mode with networking.
Video showing how to start Windows 10 in "Safe Mode with Networking":
Log in to the account infected with the CryptON CryptoLocker virus. Start your Internet browser and download a legitimate anti-spyware program. Update the anti-spyware software and start a full system scan. Remove all entries detected.
If you cannot start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking, try performing a System Restore.
Video showing how to remove ransomware virus using "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and "System Restore":
1. During your computer start process, press the F8 key on your keyboard multiple times until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list and press ENTER.
2. When Command Prompt mode loads, enter the following line: cd restore and press ENTER.
3. Next, type this line: rstrui.exe and press ENTER.
4. In the opened window, click "Next".
5. Select one of the available Restore Points and click "Next" (this will restore your computer system to an earlier time and date, prior to the CryptON CryptoLocker ransomware virus infiltrating your PC).
6. In the opened window, click "Yes".
7. After restoring your computer to a previous date, download and scan your PC with recommended malware removal software to eliminate any remaining CryptON CryptoLocker ransomware files.
To restore individual files encrypted by this ransomware, try using Windows Previous Versions feature. This method is only effective if the System Restore function was enabled on an infected operating system. Note that some variants of CryptON CryptoLocker are known to remove Shadow Volume Copies of the files, so this method may not work on all computers.
To restore a file, right-click over it, go into Properties, and select the Previous Versions tab. If the relevant file has a Restore Point, select it and click the "Restore" button.
If you cannot start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking (or with Command Prompt), boot your computer using a rescue disk. Some variants of ransomware disable Safe Mode making its removal complicated. For this step, you require access to another computer.
To protect your computer from file encryption ransomware such as this, use reputable antivirus and anti-spyware programs. As an extra protection method, you can use programs called HitmanPro.Alert and EasySync CryptoMonitor, which artificially implant group policy objects into the registry to block rogue programs such as CryptON CryptoLocker ransomware.
HitmanPro.Alert CryptoGuard - detects encryption of files and neutralises any attempts without need for user-intervention:
Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta uses advanced proactive technology that monitors ransomware activity and terminates it immediately - before reaching users' files:
- The best way to avoid damage from ransomware infections is to maintain regular up-to-date backups. More information on online backup solutions and data recovery software Here.
Other tools known to remove CryptON CryptoLocker ransomware: